Suggested Platform Planks
Read our page for caregiver platform planks.
Recommendations for Pennsylvania from the Alzheimer’s Association
- Ensure that a statewide comprehensive central clearinghouse for family members and caregivers on treatment and risk reduction options is developed and maintained.
- Identify and/or develop culturally and linguistically appropriate educational and training tools for families and caregivers, with the goal of ensuring that all understand the implications of Alzheimer’s and other dementias; disseminate these tools throughout the community.
- Utilize and strengthen linkages between medical care team and informal caregivers.
- Conduct an assessment of caregiver needs, including, but not limited to, legal and financial guidance, respite care, psychological counseling, and stress management.
- Disseminate information about currently available web- and paper-based tools for family and long-distance caregivers.
- Partner with organizations to develop caregiver materials that are understandable and appropriate across varied population groups.
- Inventory and make available a listing of caregiver support groups
- Encourage the establishment of additional caregiver support groups in geographical areas currently lacking such groups.
- Encourage the use of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act-compliant, web-based health tracking tools that facilitate communication between informal caregivers and health care providers.
- Explore legislation to provide financial support to caregivers.